WHAT IS IT?
Running is one of the simplest, cheapest and most effective forms of exercise. It can be done almost anytime and anywhere, and requires very little equipment. Running includes quick walking, jogging, running and racing – it really doesn’t matter how fast or slow you are. Just find what works for you, by building up gradually. Running can be great fun and very sociable – you can run with a friend, make new friends with a beginners Your Move Couch to 5k, go to your local parkrun, or even head to a running club, such as, Lytham St Annes Road Runners or Thornton & Clevelys Running Club. You certainly don’t have to enter a race to enjoy running – just put on a pair of trainers and get out there doing what you want to do.
WHY IS IT GOOD FOR ME?
- Good for your heart and strengthens the bones and tendons
- Helps improve confidence and body image
- It increases mental functions and raises overall energy levels
- Great way to de-stress and reduce anxiety
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Running is one of the cheapest sports around, as very little kit is needed to take part and there is no additional equipment. Running itself can be completely free. You can run where you want on roads, paths and in parks for nothing. The fees to join a running group or club are also usually reasonable with many giving you the option to ‘give it a go’ before you have to commit to any subscriptions.
- Your Move Free Couch to 5k sessions – Just follow me
- Y:Women Can Free Couch to 5k sessions – Ladies only though
- A simple programme to get you started (including an app and podcast) – One You Couch to5k
- Get started on the Couch to 5K running plan – NHS Couch to 5k
- Fylde runners can always join in the Park Run – Lytham Park Run
- An easy running GPS tracking app Strava© on iPhone or Android